Monday, November 2, 2009

Unintended Gestures

The most remarkable thing happened to me today, something out of the ordinary and in its own significant way, a glorious occurrence. There was nothing particularly special about this moment in time, I was just sitting in my taxi in Campo Verde, watching passengers get in and out at their various destinations, waiting to be taken to home. My focus, lost in the mental lists of all I had to do for the afternoon, was suddenly punctured by the words “here is your change”. Realizing I was the only one left in the taxi, I was quite bewildered by this interruptive statement. I had already paid my four soles for passage to km. 38 and was ready to get a move on. Looking at my driver, I saw in his hand 50 centimos, making my cobra S/. 3,50, the cost for a trip between Pucallpa and Campo Verde. Now normally when I get in a taxi and ask them to take me to km. 38 there is never an issue. On occasion they will up the price or not want to take us the extra distance if it as night, but never before has this been a daytime scenario. I asked him kindly if he would take me to km. 38 for the normal four soles, but he replied with an immediate “no, it is too far and too expensive”. Gathering my bags I hopped out in search of a motocar. “Hmmm…while I am here I might as well visit my fruit man and stock up the house with vitamin C” I thought to myself. So off I trotted to complete more errands, still slightly irked by having to pay two soles instead of 50 centimos for the extra four kilometers. I didn’t realize until I reached home how much of an accomplishment getting kicked out of a taxi really was. Today, I was treated like a local. It didn’t matter that I was a girl, that my eyes were blue and my skin was “gringa”. He didn’t try to get more money out of me or take me along simply for more conversation. The simple truth was that he didn’t want to take me, so he didn’t. To him, I was just another passenger in his car. I was a person who lived in Peru who had a request he wasn’t fond of. Although I do prefer one continuous, cheap ride with people who are friendly and don’t mind the extra effort, these words really touched me today. I don’t know if he was meaning to pay me this compliment in his actions but I will take it as such none the less. I was kicked to the curb by someone who didn’t see me as a tourist, someone special, or even different. It is the most wonderful feeling to be recognized for who you are. And who I am is partially Peruvian. I feel at home here. I ride in taxis, go in search of motorcars when told to do so, and walk dirt roads on occasion. This is life here and I am enamored by it. Frustrated by it at times too, but you have to love the pace all its own. So what was remarkable about my day? I was treated as an equal, a normal person in a beautiful country where for one person outward appearance didn’t make a difference.

No comments: