Monday, November 2, 2009

Beauty In a Self-Imposed Cage

A soft breeze floats my way from the lazy flapping of wings. Multifaceted eyes peer out into blue that is the day. All that hinders this gentle creature from the freedom it deserves is thin, green screen. Wanting to take on the world but not knowing where to start, it sits in silent wonder. Gathering up courage, it tries again, beating its wings more fiercely this time. So focused on what is directly in front of its face, it fails to see the better way. Less than a foot to its left there is a wide open door. An entrance to the nature it calls home, a life it is searching for. I try to coax it to come with me, to give me trust to free it from its one-sided cage. It dodges my hand and flaps its wings in debate. Coming one step closer I feel its shifty gaze evaluating me. Will it proceed to freedom or choose to remain inside, dreaming of what could be?
I am often like this delicate creature. A beautiful life which God has envisioned, trapped in a cage I have placed before myself. Yearning to move ahead into the potential which could be mine, but wanting to take my own path. I point out to God the obstacles that lay ahead and why I can’t proceed to what He desires for my life. I fail to notice the door He has opened for me, just by my side and easily in reach. Sometimes I fight His help and direction, but if I would just crawl onto His finger and let Him cup me in His hands, I would be on my way to live His ideal life for me. To take that step can be scary, daring, and full of uncertainty. More than anything however, it is worth it. By stepping forward and saying “please, carry me” I can give myself the opportunity to find a life and a happiness I never knew I could have. I see it in the distance, imagine the possibilities, but doubt they could really be mine. God knows what I truly want, He knows what I truly need, and He knows me more than I could ever know myself. I hope to always choose to take a deep breath, send up a prayer of faith and step forward into hands which love me. Only He can free me from my self-imposed cage, and take me to freedom.

No comments: